Poor performance solved WAS: Re: [DRBD-user] 2.6.24-rc1 oops

Matteo Tescione matteo at rmnet.it
Sat Nov 10 02:10:39 CET 2007

Leroy, drbd folks,

After a while of collecting and profiling my systems i discovered that our
poor performance problems were not related of processor, raid controller or
kernel configuration.
It's all about raid5/6 level configurations that is absolutely unreliable.

In details reading and writing directly to the raid disk, with an ext3
partition for example, gives more than 200 mbyte/sec with await and svc time
of approx 1.2 ms versus reading and writing with drbd (either syncing or
live i/o) gives extremely poor performance (i got 30-40 mbyte/sec with 3ware
9650-8p configured in raid6 and i have 20 mbytes/sec with Compaq Smart Array
p400 configured in raid5 mode.
In both raid5/6 configurations, i/o seems stucked as i've reported in my
to 1000 ms)

Switching to raid0 / raid10 configurations, totally solved our problems.
Sync its up to 200mbyte/sec, live i/o seems good as well but i'm still
testing the vmware infrastructure...

If anyone has any idea of what's going on....

Thanks
--
So long and thank for all the fish

--