[DRBD-user] How to make a data backup on the secondary node?

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Wed Nov 7 15:52:19 CET 2007

Hi

I have a cluster which shares data using drbd. I would like to do a
backup of some data on the secondary node each night.

I thought this should work something like this:

On the secondary node:
drbdadm disconnect $res
drbdadm primary $res
mount -o ro /dev/$res /mnt
cp /mnt/my_data /backup
umount /mnt
drbdadm secondary $res

On both nodes:
drbdadm connect $res

But when I do this, I cannot get the drbd device to work again without
invalidating the secondary and doing a complete resync from the primary
node.

Any hints? Is it possible at all?

Regards
Dominik