[DRBD-user] Migration metadata from 0.7.x to 8.x.x fail with "Magic number not found"

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at apec.fr
Tue Nov 6 09:50:22 CET 2007

Hello,

I tried to upgrade a cluster with internal metadata from drbd 0.7.25 to
drbd 8.2.0 with this procedure.

On one node (the packages are running on the other node).

    * /etc/init.d/heartbeat
      stop
      # stop heartbeat
    * /etc/init.d/drbd
      stop
      # stop drbd
    * rpm -ev drbd-km-2.6.22.9_91.fc7-0.7.25-1
      drbd-0.7.25-1                                   # remove drbd 0.7.25
    * rpm -ivh drbd-km-2.6.22.9_91.fc7-8.2.0-3.i386.rpm
      drbd-8.2.0-3.i386.rpm      # install drbd 8.2.0
    * cp -p /etc/drbd.conf.new
      /etc/drbd.conf
      # install the drbd 8.2.0 config
    * drbdadm create-md <resource
      name>
      # migrate each resources

But the last command failed for 6 of the 7 resources (only drbd0
migrate) with the message:

##### BEGIN

WARN:
  You are using the 'drbd-peer-outdater' as outdate-peer program.
  If you use that mechanism the dopd heartbeat plugin program needs
  to be able to call drbdsetup and drbdmeta with root privileges.

  You need to fix this with these commands:
  chgrp haclient /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod o-x /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod u+s /sbin/drbdmeta

v08 Magic number not found
v07 Magic number not found
About to create a new drbd meta data block
on /dev/vgroot/lv<resource name>.

 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm]

##### END

I tested with drbd 8.0.6 and I have the same problem, I do not test the
8.2.1 or 8.0.7...

I hope my post is clearer, if not please do not hesitate to ask me
questions...

Best regards.

Francis