[DRBD-user] Feature request: drbd volumes useable in 1 host configurations

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 25 13:29:23 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:11:04AM -0700, Joe Bill wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like DRBD to be able to "enable" a drbd volume
> even though only 1 host is defined to access it.
>
> Today if only 1 host is defined, this is what is
> returned at DRBD startup:
>
> #/etc/init.d/drbd start
> Starting DRBD resources:    /etc/drbd.conf:10: in
> resource drbdv-test:
>         missing section 'on <PEER> { ... }'.
> /etc/drbd.conf:10: in resource drbdv-test:
>         missing section 'on <PEER> { ... }'.
> /etc/drbd.conf:10: in resource drbdv-test:
>         missing section 'on <PEER> { ... }'.
>
> Of course, drbd should be able to handle online
> configuration modifications to add/remove a second
> host to the configuration of any drbd volume.
>
> Additionally, this capability should also allow the
> removal of all hosts from the configuration of a drbd
> volume, as to preserve the volume's data, until a
> new host is included in the drbd volume's configuration,
> as to make the data previously stored
> on that drbd volume available to this new host.
>
> Thank you for your feedback.

use "on dummy-does-not-exist {}", or something like that.
or ignore drbd.conf, and drbdadm, and use drbdsetup directly,
if you feel like it.

or write a patch that supports your proposal,
while retaining current functionality.

I still fail to see why this would be useful, though.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :