[DRBD-user] DRBD 0.7.23 and MD corruption

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 23 11:33:48 CEST 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 05:20:40PM +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:56:33AM -0400, Ryan Steele wrote:
> > I saw someone else post something similar to this a few weeks ago, but
> > didn't see any response to it.  I've just set up DRBD 0.7.23 with
> > Heartbeat2 on two future database server.  However, DRBD seems to have
> > corrupted my multi-disk RAID1.  I booted a Knoppix CD on the affected
> > machines, removed the DRBD rc.d scripts, and rebooted and things were
> > fine.  To verify, I ran update-rc.d to recreate the symbolic links, and
> > rebooted again to find that it again would not boot.  Moreover, even
> > removing the rc.d links did not help - the array is, I fear, irreparably
> > damaged.
> >
> > Is there any acknowledgement of this bug, or are there any suggestions
> > as to how one might go about fixing it?  I can't even boot into the
> > machine to run mdadm and repair the array, though maybe I can do that
> > from the Knoppix CD...
>
> I think...
> the issue is that md raid5

wait. after reading your post closely again,
you should not be affected by this.
you said you use raid _1_ not raid5?

hm...  so there may be something else?

anyways.  drbd does not corrupt md raid (or anything, for that matter;
I would have noticed for sure!) anywhere on boxes I was involved,
or have access to.  and that are quite a few.

so if this is a real issue for you, and you can reproduce this at will,
there is something "special" in your setup...
try to _not_ mkfs /dev/something , then resize,
but to mkfs /dev/drbdX ...
try a different kernel, try with small arrays first, so you can more
easily verify (by comparing against checksums/images) how/where
the corruption takes place.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :