[DRBD-user] It goes on with error got NegRSDreply for the second device

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 18 13:43:07 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:54:50PM +0200, Alberto Cecconi wrote:
> Hi,I'm new to the list and I'm using DRBD v 0.7.23 on Linux Gentoo (1

excuse me when I wonder, based on personal prejudice,
why would someone use Gentoo (effectively a very moving target) for a
High Available Deployment (where you want to be as stable as possible).

> then the second starts sincronization and after a few i receive on the
> second cluster the error
> "drbd1 : got negRSDreply. WE ARE LOST ...

in drbd 0.7, there are still some "WE ARE LOST ... panic()".
in drbd 8, we try to do best effort, but if there is no more good data,
we just return io errors to the upper layers.

nonetheless, this is broken hardware.  so, I suggest you look out for
hardware io errors on your disks.
there is not much drbd can do about them.

so you try to setup an "HA-Cluster"
with an unstable OS
and broken hardware.
not a particular good idea :)

at least use some sort of RAID,
md raid1, hw raid...
and monitor your disks (smart, ...).

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :