[DRBD-user] Debian etch package vs v8.0.3

Benjamin Watine watine at cines.fr
Wed May 16 11:50:19 CEST 2007

H.D. a écrit :
> Benjamin Watine wrote:
>> I'm about to set up a HA cluster on Debian 4 servers, with heartbeat
>> 2.0.8 and DRBD. I've tested it with  DRBD v8.0.1, and I see that the
>> DRBD package in etch is v0.7.21-4.
>>
>> I would like to know if I can use this package with my "classical"
>> configuration (see below). Is there's new functions or known bugs that
>> will prevent me from doing the same thing I tested before ?
>
> What is the point of starting a new setup with outdated software?
> Especially if you tested your setup with 8.0.1, what is that test worth
> if you're going to use another version in production? Anyway, see the
> change log for fixed bugs and new features:
>
> http://svn.drbd.org/drbd/trunk/ChangeLog
>
> Sure HA is about stability and not about bleeding edge, but I've never
> understood the motivation behind choosing a random old version of a
> package and believing it to be more stable than something else.
>
> If for some reason you prefer to use the 0.7 branch, the difference
> between 0.7.21 and 0.7.24 seems to be the following list:
>
>  * Fixed leakage of bios in case we are diskless.
>  * A fix to the device name guessing code.
>  * Made it to compile on 2.6.21 and gcc-4.1 without warnings.
>  * Made it to compile on 2.6.19.
>  * Fixed bugs in the implementation of protocol A and B.
>    we noticed that in protocol A and B, on connection loss,
>    we could "forget" to set certain areas out of sync.
>    so resync in those protocol has been broken all along!
>  * Fix races between failure in drbd_send_dblock
>    and concurrently running tl_clear
>  * Fix potential access-afer-free in drbd_dio_end
>  * Fix possible list corruption respective resulting deadlock in
>    receive_DataRequest
>  * Improved the drbd_thread_stop / start code
>  * Gracefull removal of devfs and other updates.
>  * Implemented the "freeze_io" option for "on-disconnect"
>
> So if you're fine with this list in production, go with 0.7.21, but my
> understand of HA is to chose the most stable version of software, and
> the last thing I care about is what my distribution / OS ships with :)

I prefer to use Debian package because of security updates, and because
it's not me that will administrate this server after it's launched in
production. So I want stable software and easy maintaining.

I don't know what distribution who use, but you should take a look at
apt power ;)

Thank you for your answer, I'll study the changelog and take my decision.

Regards

Benjamin Watine