[DRBD-user] State 'stalled'

Ben Clewett ben at roadrunner.uk.com
Mon May 14 15:46:05 CEST 2007

Dear DRBD,

I have been using 8.0.2 for a few weeks now and find it very well
written and does the job very well.  Integration with Linux-ha works and
I don't seem to ever loose any data.

But I keep encountering a real problem:

After a crash-recovery, or by command, my two servers go into resync
mode.  If I then write some data to the mounted Primary, the sync goes
into 'stalled' mode.

I cannot disconnect DRBD as the disks are mounted.
I cannot unmount the partition as services are running.
I cannot 'kill -9' the services as they are locked.
All I can do is 'pause-sync' and 'resume-sync', but it goes straight
back to 'stalled' without transferring any data or releasing my services.
I also can't shut-down for the above reasons.

The only option which works is to switch off both servers and reboot.
After which the sync will complete no problem.

Obviously I have a setting wrong or something.

Can any kind member suggest anything I can try to avoid this death-trap?

Thanks,

Ben Clewett