[DRBD-user] resize a ext3 partition on drbd8 on xen-domu on lvm partition in dom0

Tim Stoop tim.stoop at gmail.com
Wed May 9 02:12:13 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I have some trouble resizing a partition. My setup is as follows:

- Xen dom0 with a large disk, divided in several LVM logical volumes
- a Xen domU which "attaches" a logical volume from the dom0 as a disk
- drbd8 within the domU, drbd8 sees disk "/dev/sda5"
- ext3 on the drbd partition

Now, I'm trying to resize the partition, adding 200G. In the dom0 I do:

lvresize -L +200G domU/host-data

Which is succesful. However, Xen doesn't recognise the enlarged
partition and the domU needs a reboot. After the reboot, drbd doesn't
want to start anymore, it tells me it cannot find the metadata on the
disk and if I could be so kind as to recreate the md. Which I rather
not, since I'd like to use the data on there.

I think the problem is that the metadata is written at the end of a
disk/logical volume and since I added 200G, drbd can't find it
anymore. Could this be the case? Is there a way around this?

Luckily I was able to get things working again by simply reversing the
process. Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Gegroet,
Tim