[DRBD-user] SVN patch 2491 and 'stuck' NetworkFailure

James R. Leu jleu at inoc.com
Mon May 7 22:07:28 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm currently using DRBD 0.7.21 (protocol C) on an 2.4.31
kernel  over a crappy WAN link.  I know this is a bad idea,
but for the most part it works fine.

I've seen a number of instances where the primary node will
get stuck in 'NetworkFailure' while there are processes
with pending writes.  So far all of my attempts to get out
of this state gracefully have failed.  The only known
'workaround' is to reboot the primary, and hope that the
pending writes can be fixed after the node comes back up.

I have seen others post about a similar issue but
unfortunately the threads were dead ends:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/11445?search_string=NetworkFailure;#11445
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/9327?search_string=NetworkFailure;#9327

While searching through the 0.7.21 code and comparing to
head-of-line, I noticed patch 2491, and its changes
in drbd_send_dblock and got my hopes up that this
may fix my issue. If someone familiar with this change could
comment about whether or not my failure would be affected
by it, I would appreciate it.  Otherwise I will post my
results after testing/deploying.

--
James R. Leu
jleu at inoc.com