[DRBD-user] Lower device is already mounted.

Mark Ryden markryde at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:19:44 CET 2007

Hello, drbd-users,

I am running xen and drbd-8.0.1 (from tarball) on x86_64.

I tried the following:
pvcreate /dev/sdb1
vgcreate vg1 /dev/sdb1
lvcreate -L 1G -n cluster vg1

where /dev/sdb1 is a USB DiskOnKey.

Now after reboot, I try:

/etc/init.d/drbd start
And I get:

Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.

cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/vg1/cluster /dev/vg1/cluster
    internal --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach  failed

Now, it seems to me that this device is NOT mounted:
first, automount does not run.
Second:

mount returns:
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/win type vfat (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/sda6 type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

I have two questions:
First, I want to verify that drbd supports USB mass storage devices
  like USB DiskOnKey.
Second (assuming that the answer to the first on is positive):
  Any idea what could be the problem ?

Regards,
Mark