[DRBD-user] Sync rate is 300K/s!

Carson Gaspar carson+drbd-devel at taltos.org
Thu Mar 22 15:49:35 CET 2007

Marshal Newrock wrote:

> Have you tried a straight cable between the gigabit NICs?  I believe
> that using a crossover cable usually limits it to 100Mbps.

He already said the NICs negotiated to 1 Gbps, so that's not it. But I'd
like to clarify this:

- Most GigE NICs support auto MDI/MDI-X, so no crossover cable is
needed. I believe this is actually required by the spec, but I can't
cite a reference.
- If you use a GigE crossover cable, that works, too (but nobody sells
them, as far as I know - we had some custom made a while ago before we
decided we trusted the auto MDI/MDI-X functionality)
- A 100baseT crossover cable has the wrong wiring config for GigE, so
you'll probably end up with a 100Mbps connection.

--
Carson