[DRBD-user] Re: drbd setup on Ubuntu 7.04

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jun 29 02:04:02 CEST 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:33:10PM -0600, Allen Unrau wrote:

>    Hello all
>

>    FYI, I have managed to get DRBD installed and running on Ubuntu server
>    7.04 byfollowing these steps:
>

>    1. install kernel headers (linux-headers-2.6.20-16-server, in my case)
>
>    2. install drbd8-module-source (this is just a lazy way of getting the
>    build tools installed through aptitude)

instead, do
     apt-get build-dep drbd0.7-utils drbd0.7-module-source

which also should take care to install flex...

>    3. download drbd source from drbd.org
>
>    4. install flex (because when I tried to compile drbd, it complained
>    that it couldn't find flex)
>
>    5. move drbd-8.0.4.tar.gz to /usr/src, untar
>
>    6. cd drbd-8.0.4, make, make install
>
>    The question I have is: since I compiled drbd against my current
>    headers, what happens when aptitude upgrades my kernel? Will  drbd
>    stop working until I re-compile it?

typically, yes.
but for every "distribution kernel" there should also be a prebuilt
drbd module apt-get'able.

if you run your own kernel, have a look at m-a (module assistent),
make-kpkg and stuff. there should be some hits in google for that.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :