[DRBD-user] ServerForDLess

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 24 20:32:49 CEST 2007

please, when posting to mailing lists,
do use text/plain mail.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 09:07:23AM +0200, caubert wrote:

>    Hi list,
>    I have got a serious problem with drbd-0.7.21-1 between two server
>    installed with Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9 SP3.
>    Sometime synchronization is down and `cat /proc/drbd`show this errors
>    : "ServerForDLess" and "DiskForDLess"

if you had looked into the kernel log,
you had seen the io subsystem report io errors.

your hard drive is broken.

unfortunatley, sometimes it cannot
cope with failing hardware gracefully, and gets stuck...

one typical operating system behaviour in presence of io errors
is to become unresponsive... linux does not too bad, though.

drbd 8 has much improvements in coping with hardware
(well, lower-layer) errors. but still,
drbd cannot fix hardware.

you should have a raid1 (raid5, ...) below drbd.
you should have monitoring in place to alert you
when there are io errors, e.g. SMART monitor your disks,
monitor your hardware raid status. at minimum have a logcheck
that scans for certain patterns in log files.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :