cluster lvm (clvm) and cluster manager (cman) in reply to [DRBD-user] DRBD 8.0 primary / primary and LVM

Maxim Doucet maxim at alamaison.fr
Tue Jul 17 12:04:36 CEST 2007

Håkan a écrit :
> Maxim Doucet wrote:
>
>> I thought about this :
>>
>> What if the DRBD resource is used as a LVM's Physical Volume (PV) with a
>> Volume Group (VG) on top ?
>>
> I use that in production.
>

>> Question : does PV/VG can be accessed concurrently or do I have to use
>> RedHat's Cluster LVM (clvm) ?
>>

> They can be access concurrently, but I'd still recommend using clvm to
> avoid confusion/corruption when changing the layout of you VG
>

> br,
> /Håkan

clvm (http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/clvm/) needs cman
(http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/cman/) as a dependency (at least with
the yum package manager under fedora core 7).

Because cman is attempted to manage the cluster, I was wondering if
there could be any confusion/conflict with Heartbeat Linux-HA
(http://www.linux-ha.org/), which is used to manage DRBD ?

Or maybe there is a simple, minimalist configuration to cman that only
allows to take advantage of distributed/clustered lvm? This would be
without all the "cluster management" features that would actually be
dedicated to Hearbeat Linux-HA.

--
Maxim Doucet - www.alamaison.fr
sys admin @ la maison