[DRBD-user] drbd lockup over a wan

Christopher Harrison charrison at inoc.com
Tue Jan 23 19:41:55 CET 2007

I have been experiencing a problem where my drbd disk partitions get
stuck in a network failure mode.   I am noticing a number of these
errors in my dmesg and the system become unresponsive (due to processes
waiting to write to disk and I am also running protocol C).   The system
eventually get buried by processes waiting to write to disk and will
eventually lock up.   Attached is my dmesg on the remote side before the
system the primary system locks up completely.   I am theorizing that I
may need to tweak my tcp setting to make the system behave more
gracefully.   Has anyone else had a similar experience.   I am running
over a 6Mbit bi directional link with a vpn tunnel built between sites.

My setup is a xen host running kernel version
2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xenU

drbd version:
drbd-0.7.21-1
drbd km version:
drbd-km-2.6.17_1.2174_FC5xenU-0.7.21-1

I have three drbd partitions which reside on lvm's:
  version: 0.7.21 (api:79/proto:74)
SVN Revision: 2326 build by harrison at dragon, 2006-09-07 09:26:55
  0: cs:WFConnection st:Primary/Unknown ld:Consistent
     ns:479044 nr:27495304 dw:40351000 dr:4944468 al:408 bm:839 lo:0 pe:0
ua:0 ap:0
  1: cs:WFConnection st:Primary/Unknown ld:Consistent
     ns:654288 nr:44147520 dw:46264868 dr:2564263 al:123 bm:629 lo:1 pe:0
ua:0 ap:1
  2: cs:WFConnection st:Primary/Unknown ld:Consistent
     ns:16 nr:234632 dw:234652 dr:423 al:1 bm:41 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0

I have also included my drbd.conf.   I am at a lost to prevent or
mitigate the lockup situation.   We have been running this configuration
for the past 5 months but only within the past month have I been
experiencing this problem.   There has been no config drbd changes to
these systems.

I am also experiencing the same problem with another server running kernel:
  2.6.18-1.2257.fc5xenU
drbd version:
drbd-0.7.22-1
drbd-km-2.6.18_1.2257.fc5xenU-0.7.22-1