[DRBD-user] Lower device is already mounted.

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jan 22 00:54:20 CET 2007

/ 2007-01-20 21:40:15 +0100
\ Magnus Appelquist:
> Hello list,
>
> I've seen other people with the same problem as me, but since I couldn't
> find any answer I'll try again.
>
> When I do /etc/init.d/drbd start, I get this error:
>
> Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.
> Command '/sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/loop5 /dev/loop5 internal
> --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach' terminated with
> exit code 10

do not use loop devices for drbd, neither storage nor meta data.
it might appear to work at first.
but I expect it to deadlock sooner or later.

> And from that moment the device is locked (until reboot), so if I for
> example do (just a test):
> # mkfs.ext3 /dev/loop5
> mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> /dev/loop5 is apparently in use by the system; will not make a
> filesystem here!
>
> The device is busy even if I unload the drbd module.
> I've also tried on a lvm2 device with _exactly_ the same result...
>
> So, the problem is first of all that I can't get drbd to work and
> secondly it occupies my device.
>
> Help, anyone?
>
> My system (yes, I run xen and lvm2):
> # uname -a
> Linux cambozola 2.6.16.28-xen #11 SMP Wed Nov 8 09:56:34 CET 2006 x86_64
> AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 GNU/Linux
>
> # cat /proc/drbd
> version: 8.0pre6 (api:85/proto:85)
> SVN Revision: 2585 build by root at cambozola, 2007-01-20 16:28:50

once it is in that state, it won't recover.
during development of drbd8, we introduced some imbalance
in certain error handling code.

upgrade to 8rc2.  and _reboot_.
that should fix it.
sorry.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :