[DRBD-user] drbd performance with GbE in connected mode

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at ralfgross.de
Mon Jan 15 18:56:22 CET 2007

Ross S. W. Walker schrieb:
> > Both Raid's are able to write with >120MB/s in disconnected mode.
> > I'm just wondering because I have seen people on the list that get
> > ~95MB/s with a similar setup.
>
> There's lies, damn lies, then benchmarks. Pump a big enough block size
> to the storage till you get the throughput you like. Some people throw
> 1MB block size and get 115MB/s throughput.
>
> I always like to use the block sizes my application uses. If it's ext2
> then 4K is a good benchmark, but different apps use different block
> sizes.
>
> Always ask the block size and io pattern for the benchmarks people throw
> around.

It seems that

a. changing the net parameters did help

 sndbuf-size       240k;
 max-buffers      20480;
 max-epoch-size   16384;
 unplug-watermark 20480;

b. changing the bonding mode of the interfaces from balance-rr to
   balance-xor did help too.

I now get about 85MB/s. Maybe that's by accident, but I could watch
the write performance go down when increasing the sndbuf-size.

Ralf