[DRBD-user] DRBD Question

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Jan 6 19:10:53 CET 2007

/ 2007-01-05 11:56:57 +0100
\ Enrico Morelli:
> Dear all,
>
> I have two servers and I want to create an active/active heartbeat cluster.
> In a server I want to put web pages and in the other some databases.
>
> Given that must be only one primary server, is it possible to create a
> drbd filesystem on each server and replicate its?
>
> EG.
> /dev/drbd0 -> /webpages on server1
> /dev/drbd1 -> /db_data on server2
>
> /webpages should be replicated on server2 and /db_data should be
> replicated on server1. If server1 died, on server2 will be mounted
> also /webpages.

works fine. in principle.

still I recommend to NOT use such a setup, because:
if one box cannot take the full load on its own,
the failover cluster is useless:
 once you need it because one node crashes,
 the other is not capable of taking the load,
 and you are offline anyways.

even if you think it could take the load, and would just not perform
"as good as" when having it distributed: your workload will increase,
and you won't notice when a single machine is no longer capable of
taking it all, until it is too late.

I'd recommend to have one node doing all the work.

but do scheduled switchovers every now and then to reveal
upcoming hardware problems early, as well as to have a
convenient way to deploy software, security and bug fixes
and system upgrades.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :