[DRBD-user] DRBD8 on LVM2 + Xen

Tim Stoop tim.stoop at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 15:05:39 CET 2007

Hi all,

Short: Can I use DRBD8 on a LVM LV? I'm getting an error: "Failure: (114)
Lower device is already mounted."

Long: I have the following setup:

A Xen dom0 in which I create several LV's for usage with Xen domU's. (This
is very convenient on Debian Etch with the xen-create-image utility, using
the --lvm switch.) I create a seperate LV which I dedicate to the Xen domU
like so:

'phy:sys/drbd1-drbd,hdb1,w'

I don't mount this partition in the domU, but I try to connect to it with
drbd8-pre5 (Etch package). The relevant part of the drbd.conf:

  on drbd1 {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/hdb1;
    address    172.21.1.20:7788;
    flexible-meta-disk  internal;

(If you need more info about the drbd config, please let me know!)

When I try to start drbd, I get the following message:

tim at drbd1:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/drbd start
Starting DRBD resources:    drbd: initialised. Version: 8.0pre5(api:84/proto:83)
drbd: SVN Revision: 2481M build by root at drbd1, 2007-01-03 10:10:53
drbd: registered as block device major 147
[ d0 Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.
s0 n0 drbd0: conn( StandAlone -> Unconnected )
drbd0: receiver (re)started
drbd0: conn( Unconnected -> WFConnection )
(after which the counter starts counting, since the second machine isn't
online)

What am I doing wrong here? I got this setup working with drbd0.7, but I
noticed it's due to be removed from Debian, so I figured, I'd better move to
drbd8.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

--
Gegroet,