[DRBD-user] new drbd install - filesystem size

James Vanns james.vanns at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Jan 3 11:23:48 CET 2007

Eh? Hang on!

----- Original Message -----
From: Leroy van Logchem <leroy.vanlogchem at wldelft.nl>
To: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Sent: 03 January 2007 09:02:21 o'clock GMT Europe/London
Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] new drbd install - filesystem size

> 3) I edit drbd.conf and set the size of each mirrored partition to be 132M
> smaller than the actual size of the partition. This is larger than the
> required 128M, but just to be sure.
> 4) I start drbd.
> 5) I create a filesystem on the drbd devices with a command that looks
> something like this: mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0
>
> I wanted to be sure that 3) was the correct way to leave space at the end of
> the partition on a new filesystem. The quick-start guide talks about
> shrinking an existing filesystem, but I think that it doesn't apply here. Is
> that correct?
> I would create a dedicated meta-disk and configure it like this:
> ---/etc/drbd.conf sniplet---
>  on host.fqdn {
>        device        /dev/drbd0;
>        disk            /dev/sda4;
>        address      a.b.c.d:someport;
>        meta-disk   /dev/sda3 [0];
>    }
>---
>Make sure that you create the meta-data partition large enough (fdisk
>+128M is just a little too small).

I thought that using a dedicated partition as the metadata 'disk' doesn't work!? At least not with version 0.8pre6. I had tried this a few times and a few ways (inc. drbdmeta) and then posted to the list once I had failed on the 3rd or 4th attempt. I was assured by the developers this feature doesn't work (something to do with the partition needing to be *exactly* 128M and not even a multiple...).

Please correct me if I'm wrong or if you are actually using this successfully let us know how :)

Regards,

Jim

--
James Vanns