[DRBD-user] new drbd install - filesystem size

Tom Brown brown at esteem.com
Wed Jan 3 02:31:34 CET 2007

Hi,

I wanted to make sure I understand the procedure correctly before forging
ahead.

1) I install my OS (debian) and create partitions to be mirrored, but I do not
format them with a filesystem.
2) I install drbd.
3) I edit drbd.conf and set the size of each mirrored partition to be 132M
smaller than the actual size of the partition. This is larger than the
required 128M, but just to be sure.
4) I start drbd.
5) I create a filesystem on the drbd devices with a command that looks
something like this: mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd0

I wanted to be sure that 3) was the correct way to leave space at the end of
the partition on a new filesystem. The quick-start guide talks about
shrinking an existing filesystem, but I think that it doesn't apply here. Is
that correct?

Thanks,
Tom