[DRBD-user] MD Raid-0 over DRBD or DRBD over MD Raid-0

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 01:19:45 CET 2007

On 2/15/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> As to:
>
> "You can stack DRBD on top of md, md on top of DRBD is nonsense, however".
>
> I still don't know why that is true in a active-passive setup.  It
> seems totally logical to me to stack md raid0 above drbd raid1 in a
> active-passive setup, but that may be different thread.

I was thinking some more about this and I believe the issue is with
ordered writes.

IIRC, drbd provides 3 modes of operation related to ordered writes.
By stacking a raid layer above drbd you break its ability to control
ordered writes because no single instance of drbd sees the whole
picture.  I'm not a drbd expert, but if you look at the 3 modes you
can probably see why it would be bad even in a active passive setting.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group