[DRBD-user] Error starting drbd

Howard Yuan Howard.Yuan at Valence.com
Fri Feb 16 21:15:35 CET 2007

Hi all,

Let me apologize first if this is a very stupid question. I'm still new to Linux and learning everything as I go. I'm trying to setup DRBD to work between two of my Linux test servers that are running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10. I'm trying to sync my MySQL database so that it's constantly available.

I downloaded DRBD-8.0.0 and followed the instructions provided in the INSTALL file. These were the steps I've taken:

- I went into /usr/src/linux and ran the commands "make mrproper" and "make cloneconfig" There didn't look like there were any errors.
- I went into /usr/src and extracted drbd-8.0.0
- I switched to /usr/src/drbd-8.0.0/drbd and ran the commands "make clean all" and "make tools" in which "make tools" failed because I didn't have FLEX installed. So I went to YAST -> Software Management and added that. After doing that, "make tools" was able to execute without any errors.
- I then ran a "make install" which completed without errors.

After doing all these, I copied /usr/src/drbd-8.0.0/scripts/drbd.conf to /etc/drbd.conf and edit it. I put in my configurations for my two servers and saved it.

When I tried to start drbd by doing "/etc/init.d/drbd start" I get the following error message:

Starting DRBD resources:    WARN:
  You are using the 'drbd-peer-outdater' as outdate-peer program.
  If you use that mechanism the dopd heartbeat plugin program needs
  to be able to call drbdsetup and drbdmeta with root privileges.

  You need to fix this with these commands:
  chgrp haclient /sbin/drbdsetup
  chmod o-x /sbin/drbdsetup
  chmod u+s /sbin/drbdsetup

WARN:
  You are using the 'drbd-peer-outdater' as outdate-peer program.
  If you use that mechanism the dopd heartbeat plugin program needs
  to be able to call drbdsetup and drbdmeta with root privileges.

  You need to fix this with these commands:
  chgrp haclient /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod o-x /sbin/drbdmeta
  chmod u+s /sbin/drbdmeta

[ d0 Failure: (114) Lower device is already mounted.

cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/hda3 /dev/hda4 0 --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach  failed!

I tried running the "chgrp haclient /sbin/drbdmeta" command and I get a message saying that "haclient" is an invalid group. Is the "haclient" group supposed to be automatically created? Did I not install DRBD correctly? Why is it telling me that the lower device is already mounted? I do have /dev/hda3 being mounted on startup to /mirror which is where I put my MySQL database. Should I not do that on startup?

Sorry for the long winded post. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Howard