[DRBD-user] DRBD below or on top of LVM

H.D. devnull at deleted.on.request
Thu Feb 15 11:59:51 CET 2007

On 15.02.2007 10:56, Graham Wood wrote:
> The ability of XFS to freeze its filesystem certainly makes things
> easier - but to script it using that you'll need to be very careful.
> Effectively what you're going to want to do is:

I've read in some other post that lvcreate -s might block when XFS is
frozen and that in general freezing is not needed. Is that true? I think
the database will call fsync a few hundred times a second, at least
after each COMMIT and after each write to the WAL.

PostgreSQL should recover fine with lost data in case of a crash --
given that fsync has done what it was supposed to do -- guarantee that
WAL records have physically mad it to the disc spindles (or at least a
BBU backed write cache).

Does DRBD or LVM alter fsync behavior? To my understanding they should
not. If they do not, why do I need to freeze the FS?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
H.D.