[DRBD-user] DRBD + LVM (GFS2)

Dan Brown danb at zu.com
Mon Feb 12 01:50:01 CET 2007

So I'm in the process of upgrading my DRBD setup from DRBD 0.7 to DRBD 8.0
so that I can use GFS and two primaries on a two node cluster in order to
allow two servers to share the same filesystem without having to serve them
out via NFS and complicate things by having the servers mount themselves via
NFS.

After setting up DRBD on top of LVM via:
pvcreate (on /dev/sda3)
vgcreate <fsgroup>
lvcreate -L <size> /dev/sda3

with the drbd.conf referring to the disks as:
device /dev/drbd0
disk /dev/fsgroup/vol0

I was in the middle of figuring out another problem of not being able to
create/upgrade the meta-disk (which turned out to be my confusing devices
and resources) when I came across a couple of emails in the archives
referring to that LVM on top of DRBD is the preferred way of setting things
up.
I assumed this meant to create the drbd device first and create the LVM off
of that. ie.

in drbd.conf:
device /dev/drbd0
disk /dev/sda3

And then a:
pvcreate /dev/drbd0
vgcreate <fsgroup>
lvcreate -L <size> /dev/drbd0

However when I attempt the pvcreate I get the following error:
  Device /dev/drbd0 not found (or ignored by filtering)

How do I get around this? (or was my first method really the preferred one?)

Dan Brown
zu.com communications
Design - Development - Programming
324 Duchess Street   Saskatoon, SK  S7K 0R1
tel.1.306.653.4747   fax.1.306.653.4774
http://www.zu.com

zu.com - now on your mobile device!