[DRBD-user] Should this actually work? OCFS2 on top of DRBD 8.0.0

Jon Schutz jon.drbd at youramigo.com
Sat Feb 10 12:37:15 CET 2007

I have experimented with ocfs2 over drbd in primary/primary.

I don't understand what you mean about iSCSI - I didn't need that in my
setup.

I had /dev/sda5 on both servers set up for DRDB with internal meta disk.
Got DRBD working over 2 bonded Gbit ethernets with direct cable
connection (though found that the bonding didn't improve synch speed at
all - presumably as there is only one TCP connection).

Then setup up OCFS2 on each server, mkfs.ocfs2 /dev/drbd0, mounted on
both machines, and it all worked.  Rsync'ed across a couple hundred GB
to one server and there it was, like magic, on the other.

However, I found OCFS2 to be very fragile in this setup.  If I
disconnected the ethernet, or downed the interface, or killed one of the
servers without carefully unmounting and stopping OCFS2 first, the other
server would fence and panic.  Mind you, it was very polite about it and
apologised profusely every time, but nevertheless is was not the sort of
behaviour we could tolerate.

I suspect this is more to do with OCFS2 than DRBD primary-primary mode.
Apart from it being very easy to end up in a split brain situation, DRBD
worked as advertised.

We are now in the process of trying GFS to see if it behaves any better.

--

Jon