[DRBD-user] Reproduceable error - creating a single directory causes drbd to fail

Graham Wood drbd at spam.dragonhold.org
Fri Feb 9 16:48:52 CET 2007

> Definitely missing something there.

The raw device is (say) 1024MB.
The drbd device is (say) 896MB (128MB metadata, IIRC).

Therefore if you mkfs the raw device, it'll create a file system based
on 1024MB.  Mounting the filesystem via the drbd device will give you
a block device that's only 896MB in size.

Therefore any attempt to access the data between 896MB and 1024MB will
fail since that just doesn't exist anymore.

That's why you should do all of the block level work /before/ doing
anything else.  EVERYTHING to do with user data should be done solely
via the /dev/drbd<n> device.

Of course, I could be misunderstanding your problem.

Graham