[DRBD-user] DRBD serious locking due to TOE - RESULT

Saqib Jang saqibj2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 22:22:44 CET 2007

FYI-My understanding is that the TOE functionality in Broadcom's GbE
  NetXreme controllers is only supported for Windows
  (through the Windows 2003 Scalable Networking Pack 'Chimney'
  TOE interface), for Linux NetXtreme only supports L2 NIC and iSCSI initiator
  capability

  Saqib

Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:
  On Friday 14 December 2007 21:29:30 Ben Clewett wrote:
> Florian and Dr J Pelan,
>
> I managed to get the correct software to upgrade the firmware on my
> NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX network cards.
>
> The only thing it changed was the iSCSI, from 1.0.0 to 1.1.8.
>
> This seems to have fixed the problem. The load is predictable and no
> DRBD locking has been seen so far. The problem seems to have been solved.

I stand corrected. :-)

For those of you as ignorant as I was of these particular NICs (although I
have been using them for some time), it appears after some research that all
the BCM5708 devices, whether by Broadcom or re-branded by OEMs, do support
both iSCSI and TOE in hardware, and RDMA as well. Even though the iSCSI
engine appears quite broken in its original incarnation, per Ben's
observation.

Thank you for that insight.

Ben, just for the record, can you give us your "lspci -nn | grep BCM5708"
please?

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

 Saqib Jang
 Founder & Principal, Margalla Communications, Inc.
 saqibj at margallacomm.com
  http://www.linkedin.com/in/saqibjang

High-Impact Marketing Consulting for Server and Storage Networking  1339 Portola Road
 Woodside, CA 94062
 work: 650 274 8745
   fax: 650 651 1575 See who we know in commonWant a signature like this?