[DRBD-user] DRBD serious locking due to TOE

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 14:45:54 CET 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Ben Clewett wrote:

> Ben identified the problem as due to the TOE protocol on his DELL
> network card.  Our HP network cards (NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX)
> use the same Broadcom chipset, but unlike the DELL card, the HP card
> provides no mechanism to disable TOE.  Or at least no published
> mechanism in the BIOS or available to Linux, and no jumpers on the PCB.

Unless there has been a volte face by the kernel developers, I was under
the impression that ToE functionality is not supported in any mainstream
Linux kernel. This suggests that ToE is not being used on your NIC.

If 'disabling' ToE by a jumper has an effect then that points to a bug in
the driver. Have you tried a recent driver/kernel ? Can you replicate the
problem with something like netperf ?

--
John P.