[DRBD-user] DRBD failed - went to 'stalled'.

Ben Clewett ben at roadrunner.uk.com
Tue Dec 11 10:14:25 CET 2007

Florian,

Just to let you know, I installed the latest version and upped the
max-buffers to 40000.  We did some fall-over tests and I am glad to say
that it all worked perfectly.

Ben

Florian Haas wrote:
> Ben,
>
> from what little amount of information you have given, I can only guess what
> issue you really ran into. But what you have shared sounds a bit like a
> resource starvation deadlock issue that was fixed in 8.0.8. To work around in
> an 8.0.6 cluster, see if changing max-buffers to something considerably
> higher than the default causes the stall to disappear. Try 40000 (five
> zeroes). Upgrading to 8.0.8 is recommended, though.
>
> But as I said, you didn't give much information, so I'm reduced to guessing.
> If the above suggestion doesn't work, please post a full description of your
> issue, including your /etc/drbd.conf, and pertinent log snippets.
>
> But, there appear to be some misconceptions about DRBD in place here that I'd
> like to clarify.

>> This is correct is was 'stalled'.  (In my panic to get our servers
>> running, I didn't take a copy of /proc/drbd at the time :)
>
> "Both nodes started a re-sync" is the wrong wording here. _DRBD_ started a
> resync, which means one node became SyncSource and the other SyncTarget.
> Which in turn means that only the data on the SyncTarget is considered
> Inconsistent.
>
> The SyncSource which has the UpToDate disk is perfectly usable at this time.
> You can make it Primary, mount it, run your application as normal. Thus,
> there is no reason to panic "to get servers running" again. You can run your
> DRBD-enabled services while the resync is in progress -- even if it's in fact
> not progressing. :-)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

This e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any
content in this message is not necessarily a view or statement from Road
Tech Computer Systems Limited but is that of the individual sender. If
you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. We use
reasonable endeavours to virus scan all e-mails leaving the company but
no warranty is given that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free.
You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor e-mail
communications through our networks is reserved by us

  Road Tech Computer Systems Ltd. Shenley Hall, Rectory Lane, Shenley,
  Radlett, Hertfordshire, WD7 9AN. - VAT Registration No GB 449 3582 17
  Registered in England No: 02017435, Registered Address: Charter Court,
  Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead,  Hertfordshire, HP2 5GE.