[DRBD-user] dmesg: drbd_bm_set_bits_in_irq ?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Dec 10 19:41:33 CET 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:06:55PM +0100, Florian Haas wrote:
> Vincent,
>
> Problem reproduced. Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. drbdadm down <resource>
> 2. remove underlying device (e.g. rename logical volume)
> 3. drbdadm up <resource>
>
> after "drbdadm up", DRBD issues this error message:
>
> Can not open device '<local device>': No such file or directory
> internal --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=detach' terminated with
> exit code 20
>
> This is likely to confuse users. This doesn't mean that the "up" command
> failed altogether. "up" is really the combination of "detach"
> and "connect"; "detach" fails here while "connect" proceeds as normal.

... combination of **"attach"** and ... **"attach"** fails ...

> The device is then Diskless. But, the in-memory representation of the sync
> bitmap was never initialized.
>
> 4. drbdadm primary <resource>
> 5. issue any write I/O to DRBD device.
>
> When write I/O is issued after the device has been made Primary, DRBD attempts
> to update an in-memory sync bitmap that isn't there. Hence your error messages
> in the kernel log.
>
> This is a bug. A fix is being worked on. It is not fixed in 8.0.8.

which is a mere annoyance, because it floods the kernel log.
we will make sure we don't log this when we know it does not make sense,
and rate limit the logging of that message anyways, just in case.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :