[DRBD-user] drbd resource fencing

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Dec 3 21:06:26 CET 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 10:59:34 Dominik Klein wrote:
> Hi
>
> I read the recent thread "Suggestion to prevent split brain situation"
> and this link about drbd resource fencing.
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-dev/2006-April/000341.html
>
> I ran a little test. I unplugged the DRBD link and the secondary was
> still upToDate. I tried "drbdadm primary" on the secondary and it was
> refused. After that, the resource was marked outdated.

I believe you are mistaking parallelism for causality. :-)

Mind you, I am totally shooting from the hip here as you didn't give us any
logs or config files to look at. Specifically, I don't know what fencing
policy you are using, whether you have redundant Heartbeat links, and whether
you have set up dopd correctly. But I am led to believe that what really
happened was this: The resource was marked Outdated *before* you attempted to
make it Secondary. It just so happened by chance that it took the Primary a
few seconds to outdate the resource on the Secondary, and you only noticed
the completion of that process when you attempted "drbdadm primary" on the
outdated node.

> But now say the primary node fails, not just the DRBD link. How can the
> secondary node become primary when it is marked outdated after having
> lost communication to the primary node?

Counter-question: How would a failed node, while no longer there, be able to
outdate the surviving node?

> Doesn't this prevent failover to work?

No. :-)

> What did I miss? I cannot imagine this is it.

Could it be that you simply missed the fact that resource fencing is an active
operation, where the Primary actively outdates its Secondary via a
communication path outside of DRBD, and that such an operation doesn't
complete instantaneously?

Cheers,
Florian

--