[DRBD-user] Kernel Panic using LVM2 over DRBD 8.0.6

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Dec 3 09:19:39 CET 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 07:50:27 Dave Buechler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Using a stock CentOS 5.0 install, I have been attempting to establish
> replication of a large LVM2 partition (approximately 1TB).
> Unfortunately, after creating drbd0 and completing the initial sync, the
> primary node will kernel panic referencing drbd_req.c, line 374 -- I
> think.  Forgive me, I don't have the panic message in front of me.
>
> My configuration is as follows:
>
> a partition on sdb1 on both nodes, with a type 8e (LVM)

AFAIK there's no need to set the 8e partition type here. 83 will do.

> create metadata on /dev/drbd0
> make a node primary with -o flag
> finish syncing (or not - it doesn't appear to make any difference)
> create physical volume on /dev/drbd0 -- kernel will panic.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?  I've been researching the
> problem without much luck.  Any insight would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> I'm attaching copies of my config files below.
>   on node1 {
>     device     /dev/drbd0;
>     disk       /dev/sdb1;
>     address    172.16.1.1:7788;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
>
>   on node2 {
>     device    /dev/drbd0;
>     disk      /dev/sedb1;
                     ^^^^^

Is that a typo in your config, or a cut & paste error?

Mind you, none of these things should really be causing a panic. But it would
be helpful for us to know if when you fix the typo, the problem disappears.
Likewise if that doesn't help, change the partition type from 8e to 83 and
see if that makes any difference. Let us know your results.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas