[DRBD-user] Re: Suggestion to prevent split brain situation

Bas van Schaik bas at tuxes.nl
Sun Dec 2 22:19:10 CET 2007

Hi all,

Florian Haas wrote:
> Bas,
>
> Though, needless to say, I agree with each and every point Lars has made,
> here is an additional one:
>

>> you have to subscribe to be allowed to post here.
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 06:53:32PM +0100, Bas van Schaik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> DRBD is providing redundant storage to my Xen-domains for a few months
>>> now, it works like a charm! However, I can imagine a situation in which
>>> a split brain occurs, which is obviously not desirable. First some
>>> "definitions" concerning my configuration:
>>>  - I'm using DRBD 0.7, but I think this scenario is applicable to DRBD
>>> 0.8 too
>>>  - XenServerA runs x domains and is passive for y domains from
>>> XenServerB
>>>  - XenServerB runs y other domains and is passive for the x domains of
>>> XenServerA
>>>  - Both XenServers have some domains configured for autostart at boot
>>> time using /etc/xen/auto/*
>>>

> Why are you using /etc/xen/auto (and presumably, the xendomains init
> script) when you can have every single one of your Xen domU's managed by
> Heartbeat, using the Heartbeat 2 Xen OCF resource agent?
>
> And in line with Lars' earlier comments, I strongly encourage you to read
> and follow these recommendations:
>
> http://blogs.linbit.com/florian/2007/08/07/configuring-heartbeat-links/
> http://blogs.linbit.com/florian/2007/10/01/an-underrated-cluster-admins-companion-dopd/

Thanks for the clear explanations. I think it needs to be said that I'm
probably using DRBD in a less professional setup than you guys are.
Setting up redundant network connections is way beyond my possibilities,
it simply isn't worth the money and effort. The same holds for the
Heartbeat setup, but maybe I'll take a better look at that later.

Cheers!

  -- Bas