[DRBD-user] DRBD resize errors

Irvine, Doug - Corporate Core - ICT Services Doug.Irvine at Oxfordshire.gov.uk
Tue Aug 21 12:37:10 CEST 2007

Hi,

We have a number of secondary schools which use a RHEL3 pair of servers
as their internet cache.

Unfortunately the initial disk allocation has proved to be too small in
the / partition.

/dev/sda3             10394720   3245996   6620852  33% /
/dev/sda1               198321     25640    162442  14% /boot
none                   1282636         0   1282636   0% /dev/shm
/dev/drbd0            62669424     55076  59430904   1% /data

I recently used gparted to resize the disks.

This all seemed to work fine initially, but now we get errors in
/var/log/messages saying the OS is trying to write off the end of the
device.

I have :

On the standby server
    #drbdadm disconnect all
    #mke2fs /dev/sda2 - reports correct disk allocation
    #drbdadm connect all - do same on primary node
    #drbdadm invalidate all

Secondary server then 'syncs'

Then failover the servers and re-run on the other standby server.

After a day of running, fsck will report
filesystem size (according to superblock) is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Physical size of device is yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

quit <y>

I am assuming drbd holds information about partition size differently to
the OS.

I tried:
# drbdadm resize all
On both servers but I still get the same error.

Regards,

Doug Irvine

Schools' Support Team Leader

Oxfordshire County Council

Oxfordshire County Council - rated a four-star 'Excellent' council by the Audit Commission

The information in this e-mail, together with any attachments, is confidential. If you have received this message in error you must not print off, copy, use or disclose the contents. The information may be covered by legal and/or professional privilege. Please delete from your system and inform the sender of the error. As an e-mail can be an informal method of communication, the views expressed may be personal to the sender and should not be taken as necessarily representing the views of the Oxfordshire County Council. As e-mails are transmitted over a public network the Oxfordshire County Council cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message. It is your responsibility to carry out all necessary virus checks. You should be aware that all emails received and sent by this Council are subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and therefore may be disclosed to other parties under that Act. www.oxfordshire.gov.uk