[DRBD-user] Problem with create-md

Rene Mayrhofer rene.mayrhofer at gibraltar.at
Thu Aug 23 13:49:30 CEST 2007

Hi list,

I am currently using drbd8-utils 8.0.4 under Debian (package from testing,
recompiled for etch). For most of the resources, it works without a problem,
but for some I get:

[root at jupiter1 ~]# drbdadm create-md xenswap-ns1
v08 Magic number not found
v07 Magic number not found
About to create a new drbd meta data block
on /dev/mapper/xendomains-swap_ns1.

 ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

Do you want to proceed?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] yes

lseek64() failed: Invalid argument
Command 'drbdmeta /dev/drbd3 v08 /dev/mapper/xendomains-swap_ns1 internal
create-md' terminated with exit code 20
drbdadm aborting

xendomains-swap_ns1 is a LV on LVM:

[root at jupiter1 ~]# lvdisplay xendomains
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/xendomains/swap_ns1
  VG Name                xendomains
  LV UUID                a1kpVJ-CONz-Q2vY-qhBC-uF1N-50ju-hI2C4B
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                100.00 MB
  Current LE             25
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:22

For another - equivalent - LV it worked without a problem.

[root at jupiter1 ~]# lvdisplay xendomains
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/xendomains/swap_mail1
  VG Name                xendomains
  LV UUID                6X4QB9-OUiM-iaEs-Udf7-NbKM-2LdC-G2Ntn0
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                600.00 MB
  Current LE             150
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:19

I can't (easily) update to 8.0.5 at the moment, as there is not (yet) a Debian
package that I could just recompile. Any ideas on this issue? Is it supposed
to be resolved with 8.0.5? The changelog doesn't indicate that it would.

regards,
Rene

Gibraltar firewall       http://www.gibraltar.at/