[DRBD-user] Re: DRBH/HeartBeat and CROND

Joe Bill pica1dilly at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 16:23:20 CEST 2007

>I'm tempted to use HeartBeat to start/stop service
>CROND, so only the PRIMARY runs the scripts. However,
> I'm afraid that stopping the CROND in the SECONDARY
> will stop some important services, such as rotating
> log files. Is this safe?

>Is there any way for me to start/stop ONLY the "root
> crontab" and the "user1 crontab" with heartbeat?

Actually, what you might like to do is, rather than
considering crond as the heartbeat resource, consider
the  set of crond jobs itself as a heartbeat resource.
A 'crondjob' resource agent would actually edit in
(start) and out (stop) the jobs from the host's cron
table like this:

# Contains the crontab entries to edit in and out the
# live crontab
DHCPDCRONTAB=/etc/dhcpd.peeknrun.crontab

# Add in crontab
echo -e "`crontab -l`\n`cat $DHCPDCRONTAB`" | crontab
-

# Remove from the crontab
crontab -l | grep -F -v -f $DHCPDCRONTAB | crontab -