[DRBD-user] Increase HW Raid 5 capacity & DRBD

Forum.Maillist at GMX.Net Forum.Maillist at GMX.Net
Wed Aug 1 18:37:35 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I have 2 HW 3ware Escalade 4 channel SATA Raid systems. They have been
running on DRBD 0.7.14 on SuSE Linux 10.0 for the last 2 years with
minor ailments. I need to increase the capacity of the raids, limited to
4 devices. How does DRBD handle a secondary that is larger than the
primary? Does it get reduced to the same capacity as the primary? Is so,
can it be increased, and how?

The idea is to increase the secondary raid size, mirror it with the
primary, secondary all, stop primary, increase the primary capacity,
then primary the previous secondary, secondary the previous primary and
mirror. Then the secondary / primary could be swapped if need be. Will
this work?

BTW, how can I ensure that the data on the new primary is mirrored and
not the empty new secondary is mirrored as empty new primary?

:-)
Al