[DRBD-user] newbie first time setup (yes, I've tried to read the docs)

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 21:00:33 CEST 2007

Yes I've read the webpage and documentation I've found.

I'm a bit stumped now, trying to set it up fresh.

Some documentation says not to use meta-disk internal with a raw device,
other documentation says to "shrink" the file system.

But if you're using a raw disk, there is no file system.

my drbd.conf -
 on TEST-01 {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/cciss/c0d1;
    address    192.168.22.11:7788;
    meta-disk  internal;

on TEST02 {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/cciss/c0d1;
    address   192.168.22.12:7788;
    meta-disk internal;

this is an HP proliant DL380 server with a raid controller, two drives as
Raid 1 (mirrored) as /dev/cciss/c0d1
no partitions or filesystem setup yet.

Documentation says not to use low-level disk tools (I assumed mkfs is
included in this),

but running:
drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/cciss/c0d1 0
doesn't work

and the only documentation I can find suggests using:
drbdadm up all

this fails, Device or resource busy - terminated with exit code 20

trying to mkfs (anyhow) results in: could not open /dev/drbd0: Read-only
file system

Linux partitioner creates (automatically) a /dev/evms/cciss device, but
attempting to mkfs this results in an error as well (error code 3031)

I have a raw device /dev/cciss/c0d1 which I want drbd to use with
(preferrably) it's own internal meta-disk, and automatically setup the
partitions.

Or do I have to manually partition it as /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 (1gig) and c0d1p2
(the rest) and then redo this with the c0d1p1 formatted or something ?

My head hurts trying to make sense of this. and i know its something stupid
(again).

Dan.