[DRBD-user] DRBD and JFS/XFS/ext3/whatever: whats your favorite file system for which purpose?

Leroy van Logchem leroy.vanlogchem at wldelft.nl
Thu Apr 5 15:31:00 CEST 2007

Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:48:54AM -0700, A. Shaw wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have a situation where the underlying JFS partition
>> of our (disconnected) DRBD setup was fsck'd.

> btw.
> whats your favorite file system for which purpose?

Was this a open question? If so, here it goes:

Story type: Horror
I will never use XFS again. It delays flushing changes to disk too long.
So a power loss destroyed a complete filesystem; couldnt repair.
xfs_force_shutdown and XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO at line 1634
where the messages thrown at the user and didnt get fixed since 2004.
So went back to ext3, never failed. It's a little slower when sustained
writes are congesting the journal but it's fine. I'am looking forward to
try ext4 with delayed allocation, multiblock alloc and online defrag.
The last time I could defrag a unix filesystem was Veritas vxfs on Sun.