[DRBD-user] Primary dies during sync

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Sep 28 11:27:41 CEST 2006

/ 2006-09-28 09:47:39 +0200
\ KarinMiers:
> Hi all,
>
> we use drbd (different versions 0.6 to 0.7) for several services and never observed any real problems until now - I
> set up drbd for our web server and the primary node died during the first sync without any error messages.

then, what exactly makes you think drbd is at fault?

> Both systems run SuSE 10.0, Kernel 2.6.13-15.10-smp, drbd drbd-0.7.13-2. The drbd is on a  raid5  (ICP raid adapter
>  GDT8623RZ), ext3 file system.
>
> Dis anybody observe a similar behaviour? Is there any known bug to that combination of distribution, kernel and
> drbd which I did not recognize? Or could it be a hardware problem? Any hints are welcome... Details of the setup
> and logs are at the bottom of this mail.

well. there are for sure known bugs in drbd 0.7.13, there are even known
bugs in 0.7.21 (0.7.22 going to be released next week). there are
probably known bugs in the suse 2.6.13 kernel.
nothing of those would "just kill" your server without logging anything.

if a sever dies without any trace or error message to the console,
(and you don't use some "highly experimental" kernel or other stuff),
it is most likely faulty hardware.