[DRBD-user] What happens on an "unrecoverable read" on primary?

Hans Pommer potzblitz1 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 19:50:07 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm new to drbd and I noticed that I have several
choices for the primary when it encounters an
io-error.
However, I was wondering what would happen
specifically in an unrecoverable read scenario.
Namely, whether drbd has the ability to fetch the
corresponding "good block" from the secondary, fix the
bad one on the primary and continue normally (like a
hardware raid1 would do).

If that's not the case and the standby takes over,
what would be the procedure to "fix" this issue on the
primary? A full sync?

Would you suggest to have a hardware raid anyway on
each node to eliminate this kind of problem?

Thanks for any hints,
hp