[DRBD-user] FS shrinking and LVM

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Sep 21 13:36:45 CEST 2006

/ 2006-09-21 11:46:18 +0200
\ Stephane Davy:
> Hello,
>
> I've encountered well-known problem using DRBD: I haven't shrunk my
> existing filesystem during the setup process. Now, my fs contains errors
> and I need to run fsck on it to fix everything.
> My question are the following:
> The /dev/drbd0 device is linked to a logical volume. Instead of
> shrinking my filesystem, can I extend the logical volume in order to
> have the same result?

so, you have all the power of lvm at your fingertips.
why don't you just
 lvcreate -L 128M -n drbd0-meta somegroup
and use that as external meta data device?
 meta-disk /dev/somegroup/drbd0-meta [0];

> What do I need to do after?
> Do I need to invalidate the secondary in order to have a full synchro?

you are going to fiddle with drbd meta data.  make sure you don't
accidentally cause drbd to do a sync in the wrong direction.

on both nodes,
 create the addidional volumes for drbd meta data
 stop heartbeat
 # drbd should now be Connected Secondary/Secondary!
 stop drbd
 adjust the drbd.conf to use meta-disk /that/volume [0]

now, on _one_ node start drbd.
it will come up as "Secondary/Unknown ... Inconsistent".
make it primary. because it is "Inconsistent" (you just created a new
meta data block), you'll need to force this
 drbdadm -- --do-what-I-say primary all
run fsck on drbd.
mount it.

if all looks good, start drbd on the other node.
should now connect and start a full sync.

umount drbd.
make it secondary again.

start heartbeat on the drbd sync source.

wait for all services to come up.

decide whether you want to wait for the sync to finish
before you start heartbeat on the sync target.

done.

> And last question: is it safe to run fsck on /dev/drbd0? Can this damage
> more my filesystem?

exactly as safe or unsafe as on any other device.
but do that only _after_ you changed the drbd setup
to have correct sizes.