[DRBD-user] Slow synch rate with kernel 2.6.17

Bernhard Limbach bernhard.limbach at gmx.de
Wed Sep 20 19:25:21 CEST 2006

Hi list,

We observe that the sync-rate is extremly slow with kernel 2.6.17.

Platform:

- 2x HP-Proliant DL-380 G4
drbd-connection over Gigabit crossover (using bonding-interface)

- Fedora Core 5

- same observation for both drbd-0.7.20 and drbd-0.7.21, compiled from tgz.

With kernel 2.6.16_1.2133_FC5smp, everything was fine. Just when changing the kernel to 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp, the synch rate is extremly low (about one to two MByte/s). The network connection is still fast (e.g. copying a large file via scp).

Using the non-smp-kernel does not make a difference.

We did not touch the drbd-configuration when changing the kernels, we just added the appropriate kernel-modul for drbd. The kernels we use are those provided by Fedora.

It's reproducable, just rebooting with the old kernel gives the correct performance. Unfortunately we need a more recent kernel than 2.6.16 :(

Did anyone observe something similar ??

Thanks for any advice and best regards,
Bernhard
--
NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set - blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl