[DRBD-user] drbd with heartbeat doesnt sync both ways

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 20 13:14:37 CEST 2006

/ 2006-09-15 14:12:23 +0200
\ Christophe Zwecker:
> Hi,
>
> we use heartbeat and drbd on two nodes
>

> node1 is primary with mounted fs
> node2 is secondary
>
> nod1 goes down (only network failure), heartbeat unmounts the drbd fs on node1. node 2 takes over and mounts the
> drbd volume. I change things on the fs on node2
>
> node1 comes backup, mounts drbd volume and the change aint  there because:
>
> Sep 15 13:47:03 mw-test-n2 kernel: drbd0: Current Primary shall become sync TARGET! Aborting to prevent data
> corruption.
> Sep 15 13:47:03 mw-test-n2 kernel: drbd0: drbd0_receiver [22293]: cstate WFReportParams --> StandAlone
>
> HOW do I address this issue ?

you got diverging data sets.

you probably have to decide which node has the "good" data you want to
keep, and which one has the "bad" data you want to discard.

once you have decided this, the most straight forward way to get out of
this situation and get drbd to reconnect and resync is:

good# drbdadm disconnect all
good# drbdadm primary all # (just to make sure)

bad# drbdadm disconnect all
bad# drbdadm secondary all # (just to make sure)
bad# drbdadm invalidate all
bad# drbdadm connect all

good# drbdadm connect all

now you see a full sync (good -> bad)

if you want to try to handle this more "intelligently" at your own risk,
possibly avoiding the full sync, search this mailing list for
write_gc.pl, split brain, resync...