[DRBD-user] DRBD State Confusion

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Fri Sep 15 15:53:03 CEST 2006

Usman Ahmad wrote:

> I am using DRBD for synching two disks using 0.7.21.
> When primary server is shutdown,

Really turned off?

> the secondary goes into a state of primary/unknown, this is OK, but when the
 > primary is switched back on,  it takes the state primary/unknown,

a) Did the primary wait on bootup? Normally (depending on what packaging
you are using/how DRBD is installed) it will hang during the init
process until either the secondary node shows up, or you tell it to stop
waiting (which shouldn't be done unless you're sure that's what you want)

b) turn auto_failback to OFF in Heartbeat (ha.cf). It confuses things
and is not normally required with DRBD.

c) are you sure the machines are still connected properly (check
firewalling etc.). This sounds like split brain.

> and the secondary goes into  secondary/unknown, why they are not able to sync again?

Look at your logs. They will tell you why.

> Does this require any change in the parameters (time etc.)?

Nothing to do with time.

Tim