[DRBD-user] Better performance with meta-data at the beginning of the device?

Cyril Bouthors cyril at bouthors.org
Wed Sep 13 01:58:48 CEST 2006

AFAIK, the internal meta-data of DRBD has two hardcoded things:

 - its size of 128MB, and
 - the fact that it's stored at the end of the block device

I know I can store the meta-data externally but wouldn't we have
better performance if DRBD was storing its meta-data at the beginning
of the block device (inner hard disk "tracks", shorter average
distance to the data, etc.)?

Anyone has already been running benches about the difference between
internal and external meta-data?

I think that those internal/external statistics should be very close
to the situation where DRBD stores the meta-data at the beginning of
the block device if the external meta-data is just before the real
data.

I can see a nice side-effect: we could more easily shrink the size of
the device if the meta-data was not at the end. By the way, I'm
writting a mini-HOWTO about that, I'll send a draft here later on this
week.
--
Cyril Bouthors