[DRBD-user] Question about using DRBD

Tony's Linux linux at oaktechnologies.com.au
Tue Sep 12 12:32:50 CEST 2006

hi,

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 20:41, Milind Dumbare wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 12:29 +0200, KOZMAN Balint wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Tony's Linux wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > I want to use drbd for Samba and Samba already sits on /var/lib/samba
> > > in SuSe 10.1.
> > > I created a new partition /dev/hda6 which i would like to use for Samba
> > > only. A few qusestion come to mind:
> > >
> > > 1. What happens if there are already some files in that
> > > directory,ie., /var/lib/samba ?
> >
> > Well, nothing until /var/lib/samba and /dev/hda6 have nothing in common.
> > Once you decide to use /dev/hda6 as part of a drbd array, you will need
> > to mount /var/lib/samba there. But you will never need to access
> > /dev/hda6 directly, as drbd will hide the underlying devices, so you'll
> > want to mount the "upper" drbd device.
> >
> > > 2. Will drbd handle files which are already in that directory ?  Or do
> > > i have to back it up and then copied it into the directory ?
> >
> > Definetly not. Before creating a drbd md, take care of backuping your
> > data first.
>
> What about external metadata? That wont really distroy the existing
> data. You will just have to be aware that. The machine with important
> data is SyncSource in syncing.

i have the following setup in drbd.conf to handle the meta data:

/dev/hda5   for samba
/dev/hda6   for mysql
/dev/hda7[0]  -- external meta data (for samba)
/dev/hda7[1]  -- external meta data (for mysql)

i have a test replication happening already.  Just wanted to know how DRBD
handles the existing data on the directories when i deploy on production
system.