[DRBD-user] replicating system partitions

Werner Fischer werner.fischer at fh-hagenberg.at
Thu Sep 7 11:00:57 CEST 2006

Hi Faisal, hi Martin,

as Martin mentioned, using virtual servers is great way to mirror a
(virtual) server completely - so even user information like /etc/passwd
or /etc/shadow gets mirrored.

For Vserver you find infos at:
http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/Vserver+DRBD
For OpenVZ I have written a howto that might help:
http://wiki.openvz.org/HA_cluster_with_DRBD_and_Heartbeat

At work we implemented such a cluster (using Virtuozzo - the commercial
version of OpenVZ). There we have a chart that shows how it works:
http://www.thomas-krenn.com/upload/imagebox/schaubild_cluster.jpg
When using OpenVZ and building it yourself using the HowTO above, the
chart would be very similar (but the commercial Virtuozzo GUIs would be
missing as would the "Cluster Management" that we developed for this
product).

hth,
Werner
Cluster Developer at www.thomas-krenn.com